viernes, 21 de octubre de 2016

Portfolio entry # 15 - Poem: "I build walls"

The construction of walls are not always made of brick, stone, or any other material. Sometimes we create imaginary barriers as a way to hide who we are or how we feel or to protect ourselves.

Why would someone build "walls"aruond his or her feelings?
     Walls create the feeling of being protected. In some cases, people might build walls around their feelings because they do not trust on others and fear being hurt. Sometimes, they could be more introverted and repress their emotions because they do not know how to demonstrate what they feel or they do not want to look like a fool. And still in some instatnces, they might prefer to hide their feelings in order not to share what they really are or feel as a safer way to cope with life.

Do you, or others you know, ever build such "walls"?
    I used to be a person who built walls around me (and sometimes it is still difficult for me to demonstrate what I feel). I considered that if I kept that shell around me, I would be protected of everything and I would show that I was self-sufficient. However I realised that while nobody could go into my boundaries, I could not go out either. It was a long and difficult process until I assumed that I need the contact with my family, my friends or other people to protect each other, to enjoy life, or to overcome difficult situations.

Do you think that there are times that we need to uild walls?
    I think that there are times it is necessary to build these barriers to prevent that certain emotions, attitudes, words or actions affect our lives but mainly our health. Sometimes it is necessary to use these walls as temporary and protective shields without allowing them to become our prisons.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario